Wednesday, February 1, 2012

In Under 5 Seconds or Less.......

A new experimental segment to the blog-  We ask some pertinentt questions and get back the quick  and and maybe not so thought out answers - First guest is Danny Mizrahi who has been coaching basketball in the community for almost 20 years- Dubbed once as the Gary Williams of coaching till Gary Williams won- Danny now serves as an Assistant at Flatbush on both the High school and Jr High School teams. He works  Under the man who has done more for the 1-3-1 defense than what Jerry Tarkanian has done for the the Amoeba the great Jan  Sandusky, and also Mike Gelber Protege Coach Effy- whom Danny has credited for teaching him the Scrimmaging System of practice, and continues to expand his basketball horizons......

 1) How did you get into coaching?
    I was working at the Sephardic Community Center and Elliot Terzi asked me if I wanted to be an assistant coach for the 7th & 8th grade team
2) What was the most important thing you learned from being cut from JV as a Junior and Varsity as a Sr., and how did you apply that into you re coaching ?
  I didn't tryout as a senior since they already had a team picked. I learned that it is horrible to be cut. I could relate to someone that I cut from the team. it stinks but life goes on.

 3) Influnetal coaches that you worked under and Famous ones?
     If I understand your question, Coach Katz would be the answer. When i was starting out he guided me into to teaching basketball the right way. The famous coaches that I admire are Pat Riley, Rick Pitino, Bill Parcells, Bobby Valentine. Mark Messier and Keith Hernandez would players that I looked at as leaders.
4) Greates coaching moment?
     In my first year of coaching Magen David JV when we beat JEC in overtime to get the semi-finals and also beating Flatbush for the first time.
 5) Biggest failure as a coach?
       Losing to Ezra Academy in the first round of the playoffs on a corner bank shot at the buzzer
 6) The Diff between coaches Truck and Sandusky?
          Pretty much the same type of coaches. 
 7) Best Player You ever coached? and all time DM Team
       Too many to choose from and don't want to leave anyone out. 
 8) The way MDY handled youre firing ? and the fact that youre team won the next year
        I wasn't fired. They just didn't rehire me. It wasn't up to the school. Some people on the board didn't want me so they no choice. I felt like Moses who led Israel for 40 years and wasn't allowed to enter the land of Israel.

 9) How do u not curse when coaching?
     Not difficult at all since I don't curse when I am not coaching.
10) Ideal Job both in the yeshiva and Coaching world?
     I have had my ideal jobs by coaching at magen david and Flatbush. Never had a desire to coach in the real world.
 11) You were called an Idiot for teaching a lesson when you Fouled out youre best player-
     Even though the other team didn't know he fouled out, it was in the official book so he was not allowed to play.

 12) Coaching Future?
       Doing what I am doing


No comments:

Post a Comment