Monday, September 30, 2013

Waiting on a very long


single File Line in the Sweltering heat at  the Bedford Central Church in Bedford-Stuyvesant, I was posed by the religious dilemma weather to walk by the Open Casket of my good friend and Legendary City Basketball coach Larry Major. Major only a few Days Earlier amid Serious allegations of conducting an affair with a Student, decided to end his Life by Shooting himself near the home of his sister's in Queens. I came to know Maje while running the Senior and regular guy leagues at the SCC where he used to Ref. His Officiating trademarks were the Pointing one way before shifting gears to point the other way and of course being the father of the Inadvertent Whistle. I impressed him with My Knowledge of Obscure Basketball Facts and players, and we became good friends. He'd Invite me everywhere and anytime we'd come across Big name coaches or Players He'd always go out of his way to introduce me as his good friend. We'd argue a lot about Georgetown and when I insisted his star players Jameel Watkins and Shamel Jones should go elsewhere he called me out on it when we met John Thompson the Imposing and intimidating coach of the Hoyas goading me to tell Coach Thompson - Shyly i answered "Grady Mateen. Milton Bell, Sam Jefferson, etc..." a slew of Big men who got lost in the shuffle there Thompson put his arm around and Said " you know i don't like no white People " and then Laughed about it. I sat behind the bench for the "Super six" the Sunday of the snowstorm of 95, Maje Earned Daily News "Dweeb of the Week" for shaving ADIDAS in his head ( they sponsored the tourney) when Robeson Beat Kevin Freeman and Tim Thomas's Patterson Catholic. my Red KC Chiefs Jacket got a lot of airtime on MSG network. Their were Family occasions, Practices, Making fun of the center guys and of course the Black Tail Magazines at Bodega on my corner. How can I Not walk by the Casket at pay tribute. The Church was overflowing with mourners, I sat near a extra heavy set woman who was one of the players mom's, she politely asked who i was and we had a couple of "Child Momma Knows Moments "exchanging  hugs through out the service. I can honestly say this was the last time I cried had i know i back then that " Tears are not an Emotion that should be shared and that you only share happy things" I probably still would've. A lot of his Ex players spoke of how he molded and mentored them, and the most emotional moment came when one of the mourners dropped by the casket with a Battle cry of ROBESON the place lit up and exploded seemed like the proper Send off....... Some days I miss My Friend..........


   














































No comments:

Post a Comment