Friday, August 17, 2018

The Verdict


                                                  Pacta sundt servende 


               After failing to settle the dispute amicably, it was time to allow the mills of justice to grind. At the behest of a a mutual friend, We decided to avoid a court of law and have a local community scholar and scion arbitrate the case. Both Agreeing that based on his rulings Agreements must be honored. My thinking was how can anyone rational not see the   "partnership” argument, every deal that was made was a 50-50 split, sounds simple enough. I brought a slew of papers and snap photos of our chats to solidify the proof, and I feel quite confident. My opponent Began his argument by stating he knows me for 15 some odd years, and that he used to “work “ for me, and alluded that I am maybe involved in shady dealings. Thus immediately taking a shot at my character and trying to defame me. Immediately I interjected by claiming that he worked for me for ONE day and attacking me in that manner was both Insolent and irresponsible. Continuing with his Narrative,  I was Astounded by the claim that he was MISLEAD, regarding the vendor, who we both agreed was perhaps Shoddy, but we both met with and were in constant contact with him, particularly him since he needed to obtain some legal documents. Closing out his argument " the Bottom line, your company, your contacts, your everything" and here is where he pulled out his TRUMP card  "why would i risk $9000 to make $1500( just a figure) I'm not Stupid". Perhaps not as seasoned as my adversary, I began by presenting my argument, There was no Signed contracts, No Recordings of the dealings, Just a simple Handshake between one time friends. I proceeded to make my case, offering to present evidence, of paperwork and conversations etc. The Scholar paused for a few Seconds and then asked " If one gets 50% of the profits, Does that make him a partner, perhaps hes just a salesman with High commission"  I felt the football spiked in my face, I was being exploited and taken advantage and now I'm Being told that " I am Stupid enough to risk my $18,000 to make $1500 for me and $1500 for my " Salesman".  The Scholar looking to please everyone, concluded by saying I see every one's point, and ruled on a much smaller sum that i had hoped for. The Bickering after that was reminscent of the 2002  "Church of Nativity Stand off negotiations"  over such petty and minor details as far as whose gonna sign off on the suit, and what denominations of the bills would be. Then,  Much Like Bill Clinton Pushing Arafat and Rabin, the Scholar pushed us to Shake hands and make even a "Cold" Peace. Defeated, I  Meekly and begrudgingly, extended my hand and felt that squishy plums feeling. " Remember what the Amalakite did you, on the way out of Egypt.................Oblitrate the remembrance of the Amalakite from beneath the heavens.... never to forget".... perhaps not to that Extreme, after all it's only Money............






No comments:

Post a Comment